brain activity log
20.03.2006 Monday - an encyclopedic approach to love
While eating my lunch I had a quick run through the wikipedia links about love
and found some interesting things. A curious note is that I've ended up in there
by looking up the word "Pragma" :D Anyway... let's get to it.
Love styles are models of lovers developed by
Susan Hendrick and Clyde Hendrick. They identified six basic theories that people use in their interpersonal relationships:
- Eros - a passionate physical love based on physical appearance
- Ludus - love is played as a game; love is playful
- Storge - an affectionate love that slowly develops, based on similarity
- Pragma - pragmatic love
- Mania - highly emotional love; unstable; the stereotype of romantic love
- Agape - selfless altruistic love; spiritual
Those whose love style is described as Ludus tend to:
- Keep their passions in check
- Avoid trouble and intensity in their relationships
- Feel uncomfortable about commitment
- Keep secrets from their significant other
- Are more likely to have affairs
- This love style is observed more often in men.
Those whose style can be described as Mania tend have these personal characteristics:
- They tend to be jealous romantic partners
- They tend to be obsessive romantic partners
- Their self-worth comes from the relationship
- They tend to have an intense infatuation/need for love
- This is often the first love style teenagers display.
Pragma is the form of love based on practical reasons.
A statement like "I'll marry him because he has a well paid job" would be an example.
Furthermore, they found men tend to be more ludic, whereas women tend to be storgic and pragmatic.
Relationships based on similar love styles were found to last longer. People often look for people
with the same love style as themselves for a relationship.
Romantic love is a form of love that is often regarded as different from mere needs
driven by sexual desire, or lust. Romantic love generally involves a mix of
emotional and sexual desire, as opposed to Platonic love. There is often,
initially, more emphasis on the emotions than on physical pleasure.
While romantic love as discussed above is a dream of many, some claim that such
love as is depicted in books and movies rarely, if ever, occurs. They point to the
modern practice of dating, where often the goal is to have sexual intercourse as soon
as possible instead of building a lasting relationship. Often, the rigorous demands of
careers in the modern world rob people of the time to find such ideal companions, and mental
disorders such as social anxiety disorder prevent people from approaching others.
Platonic love in its modern popular sense is an affectionate relationship into which the sexual
element does not enter, especially in cases where one might easily assume otherwise. A simple example
of platonic relationships is friendship between two heterosexual people of the opposite sexes. (LoL!)
This should be enough to make you curious. Take a trip on wikipedia, and maybe start
exactly from here :)
Too good it's friday :) This week seemed to never end and this was another really long day.
The system at Evolution Bassilichi Services is up and running. It moves 15 persons.
Time to study a lot now.
I've been in Firenze, visiting Centrica, for the whole evening.
Firenze is a place that i've felt in love with and definitively one of the places to live in, at least for a while.
Well...maybe with the small exception of the parking problems.
The sunset at ponte vecchio is something that I must re-live once in a while :)
The slang is also one of the most beautiful italian forms you can hear. I's impossibile not to smile
a bit when a man from Firenze is talking.
This must have been a day of remembrances.
Something has changed :)
U turn: from black to white, from left-side menu to right-side menu.
White is less conservative about energy than black, but still allows
concentrating on the beautiful colors of the foreground.
Also living all the life in blackness is kinda ugly. Thus here we go with the
new shiny light and clean layout. If you are addicted to the old one you can
still visit it
but be aware that it will not be updated anymore.
- The test at Bassilichi went well: if everything goes like expected, in the
next week we're going in production. A small satisfaction about a well done job :)
- Spent the day at Everex in Florence. Brought back a nice
XScale based development board to play with. This is going to be fun :)
I've also brought back a whole bunch of hw documentation, data sheets and
12 GB of data files (it took 2 hours to copy the source tree through a 100 MBit connection...)
- I think I'm ill: fever... too bad :/ Running on very hot tea and Aspirin.
Hum.. also missed the Gemma and Dalia's tonight bachelor party because of this.
- Auguri a tutte le donne per domani :)
want more ?
... really ? :D
Browse around then.
You're viewing 5 posts per page: you can view more or less, if you want.
The entries marked in red are the ones you're viewing now.